Lineaist Playlist

Sunday, December 28, 2008

As for the Surprise...



OK. This is the post I was holding out on. I had to get all the beaches down before I backtracked to tell you about the big surprise halfway down the coast between Coogee and Bondi. Right next to the Charming Clovelly Bowling Club the trail rounds a corner, pictured above and then deadends, oh the puns, into Waverley Cemetery. IT IS HUGE. Pictures don't do it justice. It's staggering, and the quality of the tombstones is timeless. Some Italian families even have their own private catacombs. Mafia perhaps?



I couldn't stop taking pictures. If I wanted to be buried, I would want to be buried here. In fact there is a number you can call if you are interested. Just dial +61 for Australia first. I enjoyed seeing how many living and breathing people pass along the path that bisects the cemetery. Joggers, strollers, couples, the whole gamut, all pass through this place in their routine of healthy living among the strongest example I've ever seen of healthy death!



Any photography teacher will tell you that taking photographs in a cemetery is like shooting fish in a barrel, but this is a great place for memories. Not only of those loved and lost, but of the striking location where they lie along the amazing trail hugging Sydney's eastern suburbs. The trail is actually undergoing renovation along Waverley Cemetery, so chances are the walk will be even better.

No comments: